[FoRK] Question: Regarding Creating An Tech-Candidate Assessment Application

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Mar 24 21:34:13 PDT 2019

Take home problems can be great.  I've used that occasionally, especially for one candidate that everyone but me thought would be a
questionable hire.  I was sure they were reacting to non-relevant aspects, inferring relevant weaknesses. I was mostly correct.
However, have to be mindful of realistic timing.  If someone left work a couple hours early to interview and has work the next
morning, and has any kind of commute, assigning something for that evening is not that respectful. Better to email them at 5pm on
Friday for a Sunday or Monday deadline.

My most accurate technical interview method was to come up with a particularly good problem that would seem impossible to work out
in an interview, then walk them through it.  At each step, let them make as much progress as they could with degrees of hints and
knowledge.  That shows how quickly they can learn, adapt, incorporate and reason with new information.  This problem has a bit of
physical reasoning, a series of linked data conversions, and a few algorithmic problems.  There are opportunities for creative
insights, strategies, etc.  I think of the method as being Active Interviewing, Socratic Interviewing.  It gives me a great
understanding of whether they are a true problem solver, true auto-didactic learner, their capacity for keeping constraints, rules,
and facts in mind, and what techniques they know about.

It's hard to come up with good problems like that, but they are invaluable for getting a good read on someone.  I used a 20 point
scale, mentally placing them as we went along.  It proved to be extremely accurate.  The young guy would scored the highest, 18 or
so, was one of the sharpest developers, now at Google.

It did tend to cause buz-fiz level explosions right up front.  One guy, a minute or two into the problem, threw up his hands, yelled
at me: "I need to have a phd in lasers?", then basically ran out the door a few minutes later.

Different kinds of development positions require different interviewing techniques, problems, and skill judgments.  Unless
interviewing for a real staff generalist / architect, I wouldn't use that for a web developer.  I probably should use it for game
developers however.

Can anyone suggest problems that fit this?

Some examples I've encountered in the past that were along this line:
Building a Google-like search engine
Programming a building elevator

I'm not mentioning my best one here, but I'd like to find others that would fit this use.

Stephen