[FoRK] Harley & Google's battle of the sexes

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Aug 11 14:28:57 PDT 2017

On 8/11/17 12:20 PM, Marty Halvorson wrote:
> On 8/10/2017 1:00 PM, Steven Williams wrote:
>
>> It would be interesting to know the history around and any decisions to
>> encourage male nurses.
>
> That one is easy.  Vietnam.  Many of the military medics became male nurses.  Encouragement came because there was a shortage of
> qualified nurses, particularly in rural areas.  When I moved to rural New Mexico, there were billboards offering $500-$1,000
> hiring bonuses (and that's when that was a lot of money) to RN's to relocate (also paid for) to rural areas of the state..

I was thinking more recent incentives.  But that does provide a good model for recruiting or meta-recruiting (socializing the need,
value, etc. as a general approach).  Tech companies and/or others should be running PSA campaigns socializing about the availability
of the best careers with the highest demand (tech, but also industry, etc.).