[FoRK] Harley & Google's battle of the sexes

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Aug 10 09:35:22 PDT 2017

There are plenty of situations where natural differences, inclinations, or preferences affect statistics in ways that can't or
shouldn't be fixed.  At least not in a forced way.  It would be interesting to know the history around and any decisions to
encourage male nurses.

There are biases in various places and those biases are not always accurate and in the best interests of companies, managers,
stockholders, and the public in general.  It can be hard to be sure what they are and how to get closer to reality (biases that
accurately map to future experience for legitimate reasons).  In some cases, self-fulfilling biases should be interrupted and fixed
for obvious reasons.

If you don't think a company has biases, then implementing blind auditions and similar shouldn't make any difference to your hiring
statistics and later success.  Experience in this direction, so far, seems to show unfounded biases that need addressing.  There are
many confounding factors however.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/magazine/is-blind-hiring-the-best-hiring.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/companies-are-using-blind-auditions-to-hire-top-talent-2015-5
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/05/28/410264592/blind-auditions-could-give-employers-a-better-hiring-sense