[FoRK] Harley & Google's battle of the sexes

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 10 08:31:53 PDT 2017

Twain would no doubt recollect:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

and

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please."

There's certainly going to be situations where the numbers alone don't tell
the whole story, as might apply regarding motorcycles.   I'd imagine any
number of activities popular among any particular gender or culture could be
twisted as such.  Anything taken out of context (or whose context is very
deviously narrowed) could certainly be wielded as a club.

Whenever I'm confronted by the screeching SJW type I fall back on the "what
specifically would you do?" response.  Because, honestly, if I'm already the
white guy enjoying the spoils of privilege then clearly I don't have any
answers for them.  Better to let them explain what specifically they want
and how they'd go about making that happen.  This following the "give them
enough rope and they'll hang themselves" line of reasoning.  There's
certainly a lot of sympathetic resonance to a lot of their arguments.  But
they often fall apart in the face of the reality that life is hard and not
everyone's efforts to keep their own heads above the water are bias-based.
Does this mean the status quo should be maintained?  I wouldn't say so.  But
then I'm on the "favored side" so what do I know?