[FoRK] Super-Intelligent Humans Are Coming

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Oct 24 17:32:50 PDT 2014

Hi Stephen,

> On Oct 24, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:
>> Haven’t you all seen: The Curse of Smart People?
>> http://apenwarr.ca/log/?m=201407
>
> Thanks for that link!
> Excellent insight, up to a point.  But wrongheaded too: In my world view, studying a pretty wide sampling of the tech industry and various other industries, that working at Microsoft isn't that smart overall, which means the people working there have a certain blindness.  Or they are taking the best, most convenient offer without regard to the larger picture.  Certainly if you live in Redmond and need to maximize salary, you're going to lean toward rationalizing that it is your best choice.  And financially it has worked out for plenty of people.
>
> He is clearly describing people with high IQ in certain areas, but low meta-intelligence and low EQ.  You've heard "A players hire A players and B players hire C players."?  I posit that "High EQ players try to hire the optimal mix of high IQ / high EQ while low EQ players somewhat randomly hire mostly low EQ players."  Most low EQ people are EQ blind, so low EQ hiring managers who tend to unknowingly offend or discomfort high EQ candidates and fail to put any value on their high EQ are not going to build a healthy organization.
>
> Perhaps this describes the problems at Microsoft.  It fits what I know so far.

I’m pretty sure this guy was (is?) at Google.

> Part of being high EQ is being highly self-aware and detecting and understanding the real motivations of others.  Being high IQ allows you to convincingly argument in logical ways, pulling analogies, examples, and predictions from knowledge and experience. Meta-intelligence includes the ability to do resilient QA on your own logic and decisions.  OK, I want to make this gut decision on something.  Why?  What could be wrong with that?  Would that argument hold muster on FoRK?  Could I convince everyone that it is the correct decision?

Ah, I totally missed that you were talking about EQ. In my experience, IQ and EQ are not very well correlated. And organizations and people that prioritize IQ tend to bas against EQ.

If you mean super-intelligence in the sense of EQ rather than IQ, I withdraw my objections.

But do you really think that EQ is something that can be created genetically, rather than culturally?

— Ernie P.