[FoRK] How a Radical New Teaching Method Could Unleash a Generation of Geniuses

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 09:42:27 PDT 2013

I got to spend a little bit of time with teachers, admins and parents over
the last couple of years int he various schools my kids go to. One thing is
clear, the goal of the classroom in most schools is to pass tests and hit
the benchmarks set up the state/fed. Period. Everything focuses on that.
What is taught, when its taught, how the students are broken up into
groups. Extras like learning to learn....yea so it gets a bit of time but
about the same as snack time. Standards standards standards....the same
sort of checkbox  grind that  makes so many games, tech and design  turn to
dross.

Teachers that think outside the box...the snapcrush jaws of the system have
an inevitable end for most of them. Some get through though, some get to be
burning fires of hope in the bulled background heat death of the race to
the "standard".  After spending a few months looking into the field ,
talking to teachers both in the field and retired, hanging out with school
admins and watching the local school boards I think I can say that there is
a possible boon for those willing to fund a go at other ways of getting
kids to learn to lean.

-tom( franchise the learning of learning..."do you want a side of  zener
diodes with that?")