[FoRK] [zfs] Announcing OpenZFS

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Sep 19 14:09:50 PDT 2013

> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2068985
>
> Though, that seems crazy.  I close down firefox completely two dozen times
> a day.  Also, no cookies, caches, anything survive past that.  My method
> for research instead of tabs is print to PDF where it gets indexed and
> searchable.

That is from 2011, long ago.  Partly from my automated crash reports over the years perhaps, modern FIrefox has awesome tab and
bookmark handling, although the UI for the latter isn't good.

Firefox lasts about a week before grinding to a halt.  That mainly seems like a problem with leaky, runaway javascript on too many
threads.  Certain pages are really bad about this.

I've noticed it using several GB.  Right now on my laptop with 4 windows and 280 tabs, VSIZE of 7.2GB, with about 2GB resident.
Memory is only loosely related to tab count; depends mainly on what is on each page.  On my very old 8GB RAM laptop, works perfectly
well.  All other browsers are toys.  Windows is a toy.  ;-)

PID    COMMAND      %CPU TIME     #TH   #WQ  #PORT #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD  RSIZE  VPRVT  VSIZE  PGRP  PPID  STATE    UID  FAULTS
COW      MSGSENT    MSGRECV
64195  firefox      26.1 12:15:09 43/2 2    344   66856+ 1327M+ 167M   1908M+ 1503M+ 7210M+ 64195 162   running  501  44614390+
1287459  38893881+  21534399+

It all started with Session Manager: By nearly perfectly tracking what was open in windows and browsers, including preserved back
history in each tab, and recovering automatically after a crash of the browser or OS, many tabs became powerful and easy.  The most
efficient buffering mechanism expands in use to fill all available memory...

Later, the Firefox team did all kinds of memory and other optimizations.  The best was in the last year avoiding completely
reloading all tabs after restarting.  It only fully loads the visible tab in each window.  The others load on demand.

The result is that tabs become a nice todo list for things I'm not yet ready to categorize.

I have zillions of bookmarks (17534 in Firefox at the moment).  I used to carefully organize them, but no longer.  Never warmed up
to someone else's shared or other cloud bookmark manager.  Be best and most useful current organization method is a SparkleShare
replicated TiddlyWiki "notebook" of mini-pages (tiddlers) with bookmarks organized in outlines.  For sharing between environments or
other cases, I email outline lists of bookmarks to myself.

Fixing bookmark handling (and organizing practically everything else) in a major way is a near-term thing for me.

sdw