[FoRK] [zfs] Announcing OpenZFS

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Sep 19 13:35:53 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 08:43:38AM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> That definitely would be cool, except the only reason I would need one is
> to transfer 8Gb+ media files from one machine with and SSD to my other
> machine with an SDD.  All the rest of the stuff in my home is all wireless

SSDs are too expensive to have several TBytes worth of them in a RAID.
Moreover, SSDs do quite well for ZIL/L2ARC caches for zfs pools.
Even my slow NAS scrubs at 200+ MBytes/s, so the GBit Ether is
becoming a bottleneck.

> or slowdisk, so I'm not really sure what I'd do with it even if I had it.
>
> The fasted network speed to my home isn't even fiber, though my friend had

I'm stuck on 6/100 MBit/s cable modem. Had a fried Ethernet port on firewall
turning it into a yoyo this week.