[FoRK] Why do political and economic leaders deny Peak Oil and Climate Change? (Eugen Leitl)

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Wed Sep 18 10:11:39 PDT 2013

 | > point of information, if available:
 | >
 | >    please compare the EROEI for all-electric cars vs. hydrocarbon cars
 | >    (and I mean to include transmission losses, refinery losses, lifecycle
 | >    cost of manufacture, etc.)
 |
 | Long-term, fossil EROEI is is irrelevant, simply because fossils
 | are not available in any quantity.
 |
 | So the question left is whether overall PV/EV EROEI is still
 | worthwhile (8:1 or better).

Long term we're all dead and the Sun explodes.

My question remains unanswered, but might someone find it easier to
provide a quantitative answer to that question if it were re-worded
in terms more technically narrower?  Such as,

  As of September 2013, what would be the delta in marginal EROEI
  for conversion of 1% of the extant U.S. car fleet to EV?

--dan