[FoRK] ridiculous project

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Jul 30 11:41:32 PDT 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013, Stephen Williams wrote:

[...]
> It would be interesting to merge two of the best known and most successful
> postfix languages: Forth and Postscript.  Low level with high level.

The cheapest way IMHO would be writing a Forth-like frontend for
Ghostscript, doing cosmetic changes ('*' -> mul, ':' -> '/', etc) and
passing everything throu to GS. Unless you want memory operations - I
don't know if Postscript can do this, but they may be perhaps emulated in
frontend. I once upon the time considered doing such stuff but still
undecided if I really need it. There is a pleasant alternative, like
writing PS frontend in higher level language, akin to Functional
Postscript, i.e. Scheme on top of PS.

But, I'm talking about Unix-like OS - with pipes. Otherwise, it gets a bit
more complicated or a bit less efficient.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola