[FoRK] what tech will your kids never use?

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 23:12:53 PST 2013

On Feb 22, 2013 7:19 AM, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney99 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So, a friend of mine and I have had a bit of a back-forth contest over
the years.  Based on the question of what tech that we grew up won't likely
be used by our kids?

> Yes, there's always going to be a contingent of old-school practitioners,
so let's not get into a debate over the merits of film, vinyl and the like.

> Add a few each and let's see how many come to mind:
>
> Phones with handset cords

Plausible
> Film cameras

Hm, likely unless they get very retro. I should dig the one out I haven't
used in 10 years and give my sins it to make this false.

> Vinyl records (one friend's kid remarked "look, black CD's!" when first
coming across 45's at a flea market.)

Absolutely wrong there. My son bought his girlfriend a vinyl disc for Xmas,
and asked me how much it would cost to get his mash up composition present
onto vinyl.

I had a go at this in 1998:

http://epeus.blogspot.com/2002/01/every-year-beloit-college-in-wisconsin.html