[FoRK] what tech will your kids never use?

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 22 16:08:59 PST 2013

Carb cleaner ain't going away.  I'm guessing you've never seen the intake of
a throttle body...  Now, unless you're equating that with the demise of the
internal combustion engine... which is still pretty unlikely, at least
within a generation or two.

Typewriters still do a better job of quick labeling something.  Without the
waste of tape in one of those Brother strips printers...  But that does make
for serious overkill.  My old Royal still gets put to use for the occasional
envelope or other label.  But not for any kind of actual correspondence.
So, yeah, I wouldn't make bets on typewriter manufacturing staying alive
much longer...

Keyless igntion, what a joke.  I've come across no less than four cars left
running by their owners.  Too dumb or impatient to not just press the
start/stop button.

Sewing machines still work great.  Some of the newest ones have pretty
amazing programmable features these days.  But in a pinch I'll still drag
out my Mom's old Bernina now and then to run a quick stitch across something
that's come loose.

I'm still amazed at how poorly mail clients handle using scanned image
attachments.  Faxes do truly deserve to die, but mail clients ain't coming
close to putting them out of commission.

Answering machines, yeah, they're toast.  I guess there's still some folks
that want to audibly screen their calls through a machine.  But if you've
got a GUI integrated voice mail feature on your phone it's not the hassle it
once was to retrieve messages.

So you're 2:6.