[FoRK] Wire new house for CAT6?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 22 06:55:57 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:47:24AM -0800, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> Cat6 isn't a last inch, last mile technology.  One Cat5 can easily
> overwhelm anything Uverse sells today and in the next 3-5 years.

There's no point to lay copper which can't take 10 GBit/s.
10 GBit/s Ether switches are already at 100 EUR/port, though
it's of course the usual Netgear crap (XS708E).

My home backbone can become a bottleneck with 1 GBite/s,
as tue to building topology most of it is a mostly linear
daisy chain of switches.