[FoRK] Wire new house for CAT6?

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Thu Feb 21 11:14:39 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:57:51AM -0600, Russell Turpin wrote:
> Or is it just a waste of money, since every device these days supports
> wireless, and many (phone, iPad, etc.) don't support CAT6 anyway?

If the drywall isn't on yet, YES.  Cat6 cable can be repurposed for anything
from USB to remote speakers to alarm wiring.  Add unterminated fiber, too.

I just finished a "house repair" class series.  Basically, if the drywall
isn't up yet, stuff in anything you think you might possibly fancy, because
it is *much* cheaper now than later.

I assume you're aware of other new-house stuff regarding things like
builder-grade vs. quality-grade, getting the biggest electrical panel you
can, running extra gas and 220V lines and such.

> Still planning on cable drops for TV. I wonder how quickly that will
> seem obsolete.

How about...now? :)

Oh, and speaking of crap-torrents :) get an ADA-height elongated-bowl
toilet.  Your knees and your aged relatives may thank you.