[FoRK] Wire new house for CAT6?

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 21 09:07:08 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:

> Cat6 isn't a last inch, last mile technology.  One Cat5 can easily
> overwhelm anything Uverse sells today and in the next 3-5 years.

Sure, especially now that switches are the default, but the costs aren't
much higher.  Picking a random supplier with Google, Cat6 runs about
$0.30/foot (1000 ft reels), Cat 5e costs about $0.21/foot.

I don't know whether the connectors, etc. are significantly more, but 50%
more doesn't seem like a ridiculous amount for the part that will be buried
in the walls.

Ken