[FoRK] Nanosecond Trading Could Make Markets Go Haywire

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Feb 16 08:06:32 PST 2012

There's a lot of work being done using GPGPU to gain a time competitive
edge on other traders, down to the nanosecond.

It's easy to regulate, the trading boards as collective legal entities
can set limits if they think it's bad for the traded companies.

I suspect it's not.  Either that or the traders making all the money
have influenced the system enough such that it's not.  Everything's
hedged nowadays anyways and I expect hedge funds to be the next bubble
(if it hasn't burst already).

Greg