[FoRK] Baseball was Re: Mining humans was Re: Big Data

geege schuman geege4 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 06:47:29 PST 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:

> I like baseball too, but when I watched the movie, I didn't think of it as
> a baseball movie (as much as the story just being set in baseball).

Here is a snippet from my second-favorite article on baseball:

The people who do not love baseball feel its timelessness too. They lampoon
a game that feels ... so ... yesterday. They mock baseball for not having a
clock, for its interminable pauses, for sparking so little violence and
motion, for struggling to adapt *(No replay? Really?),* *for being measured
by numbers well to the right of decimal points.* "You made me love
baseball," Lisa told Bart on *The Simpsons.* "Not as a collection of
numbers, but as an unpredictable, passionate game beaten in excitement only
by every other sport."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1188482/1/index.htm