[FoRK] Big Data

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Mon Jan 30 13:57:44 PST 2012

My "data hostage computing" is much more descriptive than big data, and
gets more to the point. It also seem to be the direction cloud v2 is
heading as locking in customers from things like OpenStack becomes more
important. Everyone is chasing behind Amazon right now, but my money is
on something far better and more open to swoop in and save everyone from
Amazon.

Remember, if _any_ open protocol wins anywhere, all the players lose and
become commodity plumbing. If you can move from Amazon to Google to
Rackspace to in-house... everyone is F'd and the users win.

Which is about time because this stuff is so easy after 50 years of
renaming it, that it's trivial.

Wait wait... Big data is really a hard problem. Going to cost you a
fortune to fix it ;)

B.K. DeLong wrote on 1/30/2012 11:57 AM:
> Funny you should mention this. I was talking to a friend of mine on
> the phone as this email came in. In some respects (from what I
> understand thus far) Big Data appears to be Cloud 2.0. Or if Cloud v1
> was about applications, then Cloud v2 is about data, metadata and
> analytics. So I don't think "Big Data" is replacing "Cloud" as a term
> - I think people are realizing that in order to deal with all the
> massive amounts of data that's been being produced over the years they
> may need to re-visualize the mainframe and enterprise environments
> into something vaguely cloud-seeming that finally makes use of the
> Semantic Web and heavy analytics in order to get the most out of the
> data that they haven't been before.
>
> But for christs sake - I feel like I'm back in the early aughts all
> over again. The Semantic Web Initiative will celebrate 10 years this
> year, yes?
>
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Adam L Beberg<beberg at mithral.com>  wrote:
>> I feel a great disturbance in the net, as if billions of clouds were
>> suddenly search-replaced.
>>
>> Looks like "Big Data" may be making a run at the marketing term to replace
>> Cloud, the press is eating up the renamed products as new things. Now that
>> Cloud is synonymous with "US government deletes your files".
>>
>> --
>> Adam L. Beberg
>> http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/

Adam L. Beberg