[FoRK] Big Data

Bergmann Frank fraber at fraber.de
Mon Jan 30 12:17:11 PST 2012

The suits in my MBA class predicted the advent of
"big data" already around 2003. Financial industry
(fraud detection, who needs a credit?), retail
(what sells best in this market?) and Web shops
(this book will also interest you!) are pioneers,
but maybe we'll get a broader adoption now.

Funny, even Oracle packs the open-source Hadoop into
it's "private cloud" devices. So the hype may die
soon, because there's not much money in it...

Cheers,
Frank