[FoRK] Radical Honesty

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:42:59 PST 2012

Well, much like Godwin's law, there ought to be some sort of trigger for
when 'advertising' and 'truth' are mentioned in the same context.

Perhaps there's been too much avoidance of the "truth" as a result of
"political correctness" and "fairness" nonsense.  The truth, as they say,
hurts.  Too many folks have gotten themselves wrapped up in silly notions
about making everything all safe and wonderful.  Plainly ignoring the
reality of life otherwise.  Thus nonsense like "radical honesty" gains some
traction.   After all, how do you counter the vitriolic responses of the PC
crowd without going to equal extremes?  The whole thing has become a
shouting match with little room left in the middle for reasonable dialog.

Me, I've always espoused applying the painful truth when necessary.  Not
always popular, but certainly not 'radical'.   As in, yes this product
sucks, but have we got a marketing plan that upsells around the suckage?
Want to see marketing people squirm?  They're tiny little heads explode when
you make them think that way.  Advertising people, on the other hand, fully
accept the notion and immediately set about devising clever ways to win
awards for working around it.  I'm not sure which I loathe more...

-Bill