[FoRK] Radical Honesty

Lorin Rivers lrivers at mosasaur.com
Tue Jan 3 09:56:34 PST 2012

On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:41 AM, Gary Stock wrote:

> Blanton didn't devise shit. Blanton is just a rude motherfucker

Nailed it.

There's ample discussion about the value of white lies and so on. ”Yes, Auntie Mame, your hat is fabulous.”

I'm honest to the point of bluntness. I frequently come off as a bit of an asshole. There may be a correlation, or I may just be a dick. I, however, find it incredibly hard to lie about anything meaningful. And consider the alternative, which can be far more damaging, which is the well-meaning lie in an important context. I once had a boss tell me he loved what I was doing and thought that if anything happened to him, he thought leaving me in charge would be a fantastic outcome. Meanwhile, he actually thought nothing of the sort. I literally was driving him crazy and he wanted me gone. I would have been much better off with the truth, no matter how painful it might have been.

For that matter, lying in a job interview, for either party, is such a bad idea. I need a job, any job is better than no job, I can live with drowning kittens for a while, sure, I love to drown kittens!

As Seinfeld once said, what's more important, rationalization or sex? Try going a week without rationalizing…

Probably the person we all lie to the most is ourselves. I can quit any time I want to.
--
Lorin Rivers
Mosasaur: Killer Technical Marketing <http://www.mosasaur.com>