[FoRK] LinkedIn Gets Cute

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Tue Dec 20 06:45:25 PST 2011

On 12/20/11 9:06 AM, geege schuman wrote:
> Check who's viewed your profile.  Lame city.
Even more lame if you happen not to have a paid account.  LI shows you a
few of the actual names, followed by the tempting phrase "Someone at
Google" (or wherever else they may be).

When you click that "Someone at..." link, LI shows you eight people who
qualify -- without telling you ~which~ one of them viewed you.

It puts the "irritating" into "unnecessarily irritating upsell attempt."

I wandered into an interview recently where I dropped the assertion that
as LinkedIn continues trying to be all things to all people, it risks
becoming "a melange of grey goo."

The phrase "grey goo" ended up in the article title -- and I stand by it ;-)

GS