[FoRK] Discuss Among Yourselves

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Jun 23 16:37:27 PDT 2011

On 6/22/11 7:44 AM, geege schuman wrote:
> http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/cities/will-google-8217s-self-driving-car-lead-to-more-sprawl/620?tag=nl.e099
>
> Driving has never been a Point-A-to-Point-B experience for me (it's more of
> an imaginary le mans one (http://www.lemans.org/en/)), but I can see the

Is this you?
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/11/most-radical-car-movie-of-all-time.html

> future as it's envisioned by others more practical (and less competetive).

It's only going to increase it a bit, unless we solve the energy, space allocation, and safety issues to create hyperways -
automation-only very high speed autobahn.  The ideal solution there would probably be a mix of vacuum and non-vacuum (but perhaps
coherent air movement) tunnels / tubes.  Air friction is one of the biggest fuel wasters...

Vehicle ownership may go down, however features, safety, and auto-pilot carvionics will likely cost so much more that there will be
some offset industry-wise.

Once we have auto-drive cars, we're much more likely to get flying cars, especially self-flying cars.  Flying could be very
efficient and still safe.  Speed has a different meaning (higher speeds are usually safer for cruising), there is little reason to
have traffic jams, choke points, etc.

If you're going to complain about sprawl, then address the real issues that cause it *and* cause it to be painful: Lack of
reasonably priced housing, lack of dense housing and dense housing that is more, not less pleasant.  Remote work opportunities,
which requires a mix of remote presence / monitoring / flexible shared space at bargain rates, etc.  Micromanufacturing,
super-logistics (robotic, automated, micro-priced shipping, done in hyper-distributed ways), shared but still private / non-conflict
work buses.

Change the rules, design the problems away.  Or stop complaining about "negative effects" to the status quo.

Stephen