[FoRK] Advice From An Old Programmer

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Thu Jun 23 12:11:51 PDT 2011

Aaron nails it.

In fact, a century ago -- when the US was flirting with its peak of
global political, economic, scientific and every other sort of power --
we ~did~ teach Joe Citizen about programming.

Except... we called it "Latin," or "Debate," or "Logic."

I have before me my Aunt Marie Stock's "Argumentation and Debate" (J.
Walter Reeves, 1917) which she used in "II Hr, Three Rivers High School,
" autographed by her friends from the class of 1929.  It's not her Logic
textbook (locked away in the other room), but even the brief examples in
the Debate text are more training in logic than most schoolkids get today.

If members of Congress -- or even half the media -- had those basics in
their heads, we wouldn't suffer with many of the ridiculous problems we
face today...

GS