[FoRK] nanoprogramming, quantum programming, ... Re: Coding as a secret weapon

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jun 22 14:12:39 PDT 2011

On 6/21/11 10:45 PM, Noon Silk wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Stephen Williams<sdw at lig.net>  wrote:
>> How do you think that you learn to program quantum computers??  ;-)
>>
>> I'm going to the Foresight conference at Google this weekend, all nano all
>> the time.  (They seem to be neglecting their AI side these days.)
>> Can't wait until nanoprogramming is here.  Metananoprogramming will be even
>> more fun: programming the microfactories that make the nano devices that run
>> your programs.  You'll need CompSci and Physics.
> So, for you nanoprogramming>  quantum programming?

Greater than?  More interesting I guess.  Just like mobile development is a hot new venue, nano / nanocomputing will someday be a
game changer.  We've got nano materials and a few nano machines now (and all of us are carrying MEMS devices now which I could as
the simplest nanomachine).  Nanocomputing / storage / communication / power will make things much more interesting.

> It isn't a new style of programming, right? It's just programming
> smaller things? Or is there more to it?

"Really embedded" programming.  Hard to tell what "processors" will look like.  There will be a wide range of situations, some of
which will be somewhat strange by current coding standards.  Noisy distributed nano-processors for instance.  Perhaps you'll
sometimes write code to reconfigure components, physically and/or logically, and then code to a custom "instruction set" for that.

The metananoprogramming / metaprogramming (non-nano version) seems the most interesting: design a machine, write code to create that
machine, and write the code that runs on the machine.  Or metametananoprogramming: write code that creates a machine that creates a
machine that...

Physics is a bit different at the nano level: air is thick, frequency of movement can be very high, etc.  Additionally, we're
learning some interesting things that could be interesting to apply.  For instance, with another quantum connection:
http://www.geekosystem.com/quantum-smell/