[FoRK] DC area question.

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Jun 21 13:54:46 PDT 2011

Definitely, Smithsonians (and others like Corcoran, Spy, etc.) are the most awesome deal / destination.  You could go non-stop for
weeks and not see everything.  And, you might have heard of this little place called "The Library of Congress", the MOAL.  (My ex
was a volunteer there and thought about the docent track.)  It IS open to the public you know, to some extent at least.  And, while
not obviously housing books, the nearby Jefferson building is cool inside.

The new, larger wing of the Air and Space museum is out near Dulles / Ashburn.  Entrance is still free there, as a Smithsonian, but
parking costs $10.  I used to have a yearly pass when they first opened.

The museums, monuments, trails, events, etc. make DC fairly nice.  Especially if you lived in town I suspect.  But you'd probably
want private schooling for kids in DC while the public schools are mostly great in the suburbs.  Traditionally (although a little
better lately because the Post exposes everything), DC is the model for dysfunctional government, lazy government employees,
entitlement, and corruption.  But they have been trying to fix everything and occasionally let someone competent slip into office it
seems.

If you inline skate, I can introduce you to my old club there, WAR (Washington Area Roadskaters).  I still host their website:
http://skatedc.org
I skated with them 1-2 times/ wk. about 50% of the time for over 10 years.  15 miles on Wed. evening and 20-25 on Sunday morning, in
heat or cold.  They have been meeting in front of the White House since you could drive there.

sdw