[FoRK] Advice From An Old Programmer

Jeremy Apthorp nornagon at nornagon.net
Mon Jun 20 20:13:41 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

> On 6/20/11 6:21 PM, Jeremy Apthorp wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer<greg at bolcer.org
>> >wrote:
>>
>>> It's popular conventional wisdom these days to believe that Google has
>>> the
>>> answer for everything and that everything is instantly grokable.
>>>
>>> Conventional wisdom is wrong.  Knowledge isn't looking stuff up. Let me
>>> quote one of my favorite posts on what I would call the philosophy of
>>> knowledge:
>>>
>>>  You're taking knowledge to be a self-evident good?
>>

> I would say a "qualified yes".  Generally speaking, in the limit, as a
> general rule, short answer, yes.

Knowledge in the head or knowledge written down?

> You seem to be off by one as your reply only makes sense with respect to

... nope, pretty sure I replied to the right message.

I feel like I spend a significant amount of effort avoiding knowing things.
I'm studying for undergraduate physics exams at the moment, and I am much
worse at remembering formulae than at remembering in a vague sense how to
arrive at those formulae. Process is king (for me). I don't see the value in
remembering vast quantities of facts. Computers do that for us.