[FoRK] Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 ==, maybe better than iPad 2

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed May 11 11:00:26 PDT 2011

While conceptually I like the more-square aspect ration of the iPad 2, as soon as you fire up HD video, the HD aspect ratio of both
the Xoom and Galaxy Tab 10.1 pays off, making the iPad 2 look quite a bit less attractive.  The Tab has a resolution of 1280x800
while the iPad 2 is 1024x768.  The Tab is thinner (8.6 mm vs. 8.8) and lighter (595 grams vs. 613).  Can't find quoted battery life,
so we'll see.

There's no quoted screen technology type published that I can find, but the Tab is super bright and clear.  I'd guess that it's OLED
or similar.  The iPad 2 is far more saturated and a bit more clear than the Motorola Xoom, but the Tab beats the iPad 2 by a bit.
The default tactile feedback on the Tab is nice also.

So far, highly impressive.  Apple's hardware butt was just kicked within 6 months.

It will be interesting to see who implements sticky/slippery surface modulation in a tablet first.

Honeycomb 3.1 and Ice Cream Sandwich (oh brother...) are shaping up to be impressive, especially with pushing Android and compatible
protocols and libraries down into ambient / accessory devices, etc.

Both the Android and Chromepad stories are interesting, but oddly distant at this point.  At least the Chromepad will keep Intel
happy enough while they worry about Arm taking over the low-power / high performance world.  Apparently, there is no Atom Honeycomb
(and therefore no tablet) currently.