[FoRK] MS Skynet: Microsoft Buys Skype for $8.5B

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue May 10 17:05:03 PDT 2011

> Oh, you don't know Bolcer's Corollary to Wheeler's premise?
>
> Any Infosec issue in computer science can be solved at another abstraction level through indirection to make it someone else's
> problem.

And, to think, it was almost my problem!  Still might be, but my rate is going way up.
On the other hand, if I'm not entangled, I'll implement an open source alternative some day.  Skype (and pretty much everyone else)
manages to be unusable for video for some common and key use cases.  Easily solved, if you care.

Skype does have a hard security problem: managing a (mostly) true P2P system that has access to mic, camera, machine, network, and
other people's systems running the same software.  Lots of potential failure that could wipe out all trust, and most use, in a few
revolutions of the bad PR wheel.  This would be the major challenge for an open source equivalent too.

sdw