[FoRK] Anatomy of failure: Mobile flops from RIM, Microsoft, and Nokia

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun May 1 11:37:02 PDT 2011

> When everyone's making enough money, it's hard to convince people of a world where they can make more money more efficiently.
>
> Greg
Definitely.  The problem here is that, such as in the case of Windows, and IE until very recently, people are suffering far more
pain and inefficiency than they would with alternatives.  That is broken, and it is sad.  It will be corrected eventually.  The
question is how.  Microsoft has already passed many, many opportunities.

MS finally has given up on the drag-our-feet-and-it-will-hold-back-innovation strategy on IE as other browsers are taking over.
Now, the hegemony is broken.  Companies will no longer ignore everything but IE 6 simply because Webkit and Firefox are
everywhere that's cool (IPhone/Android/etc.) and customers will just switch to a company that works with their browsers.  Even
though the IE team is pushing for parity, it is now too late to control the market.

sdw