[FoRK] Autodidacticism, Self Organizing Learning Environments, Hole-in-the-Wall

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Apr 24 19:46:51 PDT 2011

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Problem-based_learning

Nice:
http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/12/05/1542231/Using-the-Web-To-Turn-Kids-Into-Autodidacts
> /"Autodidacticism <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodidacticism> — self-education or self-directed learning — is nothing new, but
> the Internet holds the promise of taking it to the masses. Sugata Mitra
> <http://sugatam.wikispaces.com?responseToken=07cfcac5f3bde07e4ea8605fc1b35d11f>, an Indian physicist whose earlier educational
> experiments <http://sugatam.blogspot.com/2007/10/hole-in-wall-experiments-current-status.html> inspired the film /Slumdog
> Millionaire/, is convinced that, with the Internet, kids can learn by themselves
> <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704584804575645070639938954.html> so long as they are in small groups and have
> well-posed questions to answer. And now, Mitra's Self-Organized Learning Environments
> <http://solesandsomes.wikispaces.com/A+bit+about+SOLE+%26+SOME?responseToken=071f9090c142d0f23e6ad0d0973d774f9> (SOLE) are going
> global, with testing in schools in Australia, Colombia, England and India. On their own, children can get about 30% of the
> knowledge required to pass exams, so to go further, Dr. Mitra supplements SOLE with e-mediators, amateur volunteers who use Skype
> to help kids learn online."/
See /. comments below.

http://solesandsomes.wikispaces.com/A+bit+about+SOLE+%26+SOME
> *How it all began: *
> At first it was just a germ of an idea, born of observations way back in the mid 1980’s, at home and around, in conversations with
> other people interested in how children learn and their education that made Sugata Mitra want to see just how far and where this
> ‘self-organized’ learning could go. There are many tales to tell of how all this came into being and you could access many of
> these on the net. But, for the time being, let’s cut a long story short....
>
> *The work before SOLE & SOME: *
> Sugata Mitra’s earlier work through the Hole in the Wall experiments, showed that groups of children, given shared digital
> resources can learn to use computers and the Internet and go on to learn almost anything on their own that they have an interest
> in. They do not seem to require adult supervision.
>
> Further work showed that groups of children with access to computer and related technology are capable of successfully answering
> examinations without traditional schooling. Since successfully completing school is such a widespread concern, the project took on
> the task of studying whether such self-organised learning can enable groups of children to successfully answer government Board
> final examinations and be helped to obtain their school certificates using such “Minimally Invasive” methods.
>

> SOLEs have been specially designed and these continue to be modified. These have been built in several locations to facilitate
> self-organized learning – a place where children can work in groups, access the internet and other software, follow up on a class
> activity or project or take them where their interests lead them.
>
> The key in all this is “open and free access”. Of course there are lot of hiccups along the way.... In most of the places there
> are so many children, so little time, just one ‘room’ and some resistance to the idea!
>
> But we have moved along and the response of the children and many of the schools & teachers has been insightful and heartening.
>
> New discoveries made and shared everyday, skills practiced and mastered, confidence and self worth levels rising; we see all this
> and much more.
>
> One of the other key concerns that many parents, educators even the children themselves had to do with learning English. So, from
> the beginning, there was specific software uploaded for the children to be able to learn the English language and use it on a
> regular basis. By the way, that is where the idea of ‘Grannies’ reading stories to the children came in! Most of us learnt our
> mother tongue so naturally through stories told to us in our childhood, by loving parents and grandparents and we wanted for these
> children to have some of that experience too!

/. comments on: Using the Web To Turn Kids Into Autodidacts

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces
I am a member of and drop into Hack Dojo periodically. And I'm a member of Tech Shop for the physical hacking.

        Princess Nell is ashamed of all of you <http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1896832&cid=34456382> (Score:2
        <http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/12/05/1542231/Using-the-Web-To-Turn-Kids-Into-Autodidacts#>)

by The Master Control P (655590) <http://slashdot.org/%7EThe+Master+Control+P> Alter Relationship
<http://news.slashdot.org/zoo.pl?op=check&type=friend&uid=655590> <ejkeever at neCOLAr ... m minus caffeine
<mailto:ejkeever%40neCOLArdshack.com+minus+caffeine>> on 2010-12-05 21:22 (#34456382
<http://news.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1896832&cid=34456382>) Homepage <http://ejksdesktop.homelinux.com/>
Ctrl-F... not a single result for /A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer/ or related terms? This is Slashdot, isn't it?

This comment looks interesting:

> http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-October/005379.html [listcultures.org]
> http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-November/006005.html [listcultures.org]
> http://listcultures.org/pipermail/p2presearch_listcultures.org/2009-November/005584.html [listcultures.org]
>
> Maybe the whole point is to waste your time and dumb you down and keep you locked up in a mirror maze?
>
> And failing that, to neuter you politically? See Jeff Schmidt's "Dsiciplined Minds":
> http://disciplinedminds.tripod.com/ [tripod.com]
> http://www.uow.edu.au/~bmartin/pubs/01BRrt.html <http://www.uow.edu.au/%7Ebmartin/pubs/01BRrt.html> [uow.edu.au]
> "How to survive? Well, how can captive soldiers survive what is commonly called "brainwashing"? The US Army has a manual on
> resisting indoctrination when a prisoner of war. As Schmidt amusingly notes, this manual wasn't written for students, but
> "students in graduate or professional school should be able to put such resistance techniques to good use." (p. 239). A person who
> maintains an independent, nonconforming outlook in any institution, including a prisoner-of-war camp, is seen as deviant and
> threatening. The keys to resistance are knowing what you're up against, preparing to take action, working with others
> (organization!), resisting at all levels, and dealing with collaborators by cutting them off from key information and attempting
> to win them over. Schmidt gives a revealing account of his own difficulties in graduate school and how he survived as a radical."
>
> Undergrad is not quite as bad though. But remember, all the professors and assistants whose salaries you are paying (even by
> incurring debt) -- they have all gone through this brainwashing process.
> http://www.chomsky.info/articles/199710--.htm [chomsky.info]
>
> Something else I wrote on this:
> http://groups.google.com/group/openvirgle/browse_thread/thread/3dd2b7e6648da125/231e63e966e932df?hl=en#231e63e966e932df [google.com]
>
> And on how things may change, by me: