[FoRK] Competitive disadvantage

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Apr 19 09:38:56 PDT 2011

> Some things never change(tm)[1]
>
> [1] http://www.xent.com/FoRK-archive/feb98/0175.html
>
> Some surprises from my view, University of Virginia
> gets #1 and College of William and Mary (VA) gets #6?
>
> http://www4.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/natu_pub.htm

Virginia is influenced by (and part of) the DC area which pulls in people from all over the world.  Some of which are affluent and
have high-achieving parents (diplomats, etc.).  The Virginia military schools, etc. are full of children of embassy officials and
similar.

Virginia itself has a large black population, at least outside of N. Virginia.  N. Virginia is basically an extension of DC for
business (especially government), demographics, politics, and affluency.  However, there are also immigration hotspots that stand
out.  Herndon, for example, is a very highly hispanic area, although with a lot more representation from many Central/South American
countries in addition to Mexico.

There is a strong N. / rest of Virginia dichotomy for demographics, politics, and industry.  Along the coast, this is moderated, or
confused at least, by the strong military-related population and industry.

Even in a very upscale area, I found it a poor place to raise teenagers because of the teenage micro-culture.  The teenagers too
often seem to translate anti-establishment into anti-intellectual, leaving many teenagers with a poor educational and life
trajectory.  By trying to be more strict and conservative, the police are somehow much less effective at curbing teenagers without
damage.  Somehow, the attitudes of too many teenagers are poisoned in consistent ways.

> On 4/19/2011 7:59 AM, HK Pang wrote:
>> our public school would bus kids from other towns to meet the
>> diversity requirement.
>>
>> we have 5% chinese chinese, 5% chinese american, 5% korean, 5% indian,
>> 5% other asian, 10% russian,  5% hispanics, 5% brazilians, 10%
>> europeans, 15% real jewish american, 5% other jewish,  2% nigerians,
>> 3% african americans, 20% white american.
>>
>> our town is 75% white, but I think 30-50% attend non-public schools,
>> that's why the representation in public school is lower.

Where's that?