[FoRK] The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads

Reza B'Far reza.bfar at oracle.com
Mon Apr 18 15:39:56 PDT 2011

Couple of points to ad to Eugen's comments/questions -

   1. If the argument here is let's disguise research in vapor-commercial-ware
      so that it gets funded, I think it's counter-productive.  This kind of
      thing is why VC's often discount real valuable research.  It contributes
      to the false perception that egg-heads are out there cooking up crazy crap
      that has no real value.
   2. Has anyone done a macro-economic analysis to see if the "benefits" of
      social networking adds enough that it provides ROI that can be monetized?
      Put simply, I think social networking generates more economic inefficiency
      than efficiency... people waste their time for the most part writing crap
      about where they buy coffee...
   3. Where is the bottom line value that is produced by doing social network
      analysis?  Does it help some innovation cycle? evolution of the race?
      Economic efficiency?  what's the macro benefit other than exchanging
      use-less social chatter?  Is the benefit merely to sell more ads to
      people?  Is the entire economy now based on ads?