[FoRK] Chons

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Feb 6 01:32:38 PST 2011

----- Forwarded message from coderman <coderman at gmail.com> -----

From: coderman <coderman at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 02:46:01 -0800
To: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
Cc: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
Subject: Re: [FoRK] Chons

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:47 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>>> Re Mesh - I have been mucking with it for many years and reading about
>>> it even longer. Seems solutions for getting what appears a group that
>> Fun fact: a local /64 is fully enough to encode lat/long/alt
>> (24, 24, 16 bit) with about 2 m resolution....

ORCHID address space is perfect for this type of thing, and there are
particular extensions well suited to this. [0][1]

> There are a couple main types of use cases for this kind of capability:
> A) emergency situations of various types like the Egypt blackout and
> There has been plenty of work with open source cell networks, etc.  I
> haven't seen anything usable about hand-held mesh and/or store and forward
> capability yet.

this came up on the p2p-hackers list, which i can't seem to get mail
through, [3]

regarding Android in particular, sounds similar to Serval. [2]

best regards,

0. An IPv6 Prefix for Overlay Routable Cryptographic Hash Identifiers
[*this: just substitute the cryptographic with hashed coordinates or
searchable prefixes, or both given privacy considerations.]

[*this: combine with geo-aware addressing.]

2. Serval Project

3. [p2p-hackers] What we should build for the Egyptian (and other) protesters
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Alen Peacock <alenlpeacock at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd always hoped that a global ad-hoc wireless network would spring
> from something like MIT's RoofNet
> (http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/doku.php).
> There's still a lot of academic research into ad-hoc networks, but I'm
> not aware of anyone really pursuing something like this in the
> commercial space

not to any noteworthy degree. the attempts have been numerous in both
commercial and research focus.

given the number of ad-hoc routing protocols, developers capable of
understanding the merits and detriments of general approaches and
specific implementations, and certainly not least of all the
difficulty in early-adoption of such a Metcalfe utility dependent
"collaborative transport" is quite difficult.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ad_hoc_routing_protocols

as for my druthers i am keenly interested in combined topologies and
overlays leveraging the distinct advantages of particular transports
together for a best effort, immediately accessible ad-hoc
infrastructure. leased circuits and dedicated fiber continued to work
in Egypt; a BGP4 peering blackout is just a small slice of the overall
communication stacks and paths.
(you can run E-Line/E-LAN over free space optics as easily as MPLS /
WDM lambdas over fiber, multi-OFDMA wide band systems can be
aggregated over polarizations and center bands, etc, etc. the
possibilities are endless. and even packet over shortwave can carry
signalling channels around the globe...)

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:17 PM, David Barrett <dbarrett at quinthar.com> wrote:
> On this topic, it'd be great if you could simultaneously be connected to
> two networks (eg, a wireless DSL router *and* broadcast a mesh
> repeater).  I don't think you can do this in the strict sense,

use madwifi-ng and a mobile IPv4/IPv6 transport. for example a custom
SOCKS/HTTP/Transparent proxy to multi-homed SCTP over VPNs on virtual
station madwifi-ng capable hardware. (i've used up to 6 clients per
radio with success, and maximum 8 radios per PCI host bus.)

lots of options in this space as well. just not cheap or easy yet...

----- End forwarded message -----