[FoRK] first decent LED lamp in legacy bulb form factor

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 04:46:27 PST 2010

> Totally agree on the complete fraud that CFLs are. Of course, the
> shortcomings don't stop at flaky electronics.

They did, at least, provide an interim step in educating the public about
alternatives to incandescent.  Had the jump been from $1 edison bulbs
straight to $50 LED there'd have been no movement at all.

I too will consider LEDs if/when suitable dimmable options existed.  But I'm
not about about replace a whole series of dimmers (expensive Lutron RF
units).

I tried all manner of CFLs and gave up.  Between the color temp issues and
reliability (even on plain switches, not dimmers) they were a complete
failure.  Hell, even plain old fluorescent tubes do a better job.

-Bill Kearney