[FoRK] Roundup of recent interesting things...

Jeremy Apthorp nornagon at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:16:35 PDT 2010

On 28 March 2010 01:15, Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> wrote:
> And for the win, I claim the conjectural scoop...  Gravity epiphenomenal, not fundamental...
>
> Deriving gravity from quantum information:
>
>  http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24975/?ref=rss

Interesting. Note that if the universe is 'built' from information as
the above article hints at, and we see that the laws of thermodynamics
and entropy allow for e.g. the erasure of that information, then we
are lead to believe that:

1. there is a finite amount of information in the universe, and thus
2. spacetime is discrete, not continuous.

If spacetime were continuous, it would require an infinite amount of
information to represent the position of a particle.