[FoRK] Coup Needed - What the right wing really thinks?

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Oct 1 16:29:34 PDT 2009

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:
>> Or at least the fringe. When following a technical topic, I noticed a
>> link twittered by Tim O'Reilly ( http://twitter.com/timoreilly ), but
>> the page was gone. Even Newsmax couldn't stomach it apparently, but
>> Google Cache prevails. Good to preserve publicly. It's not good to
>> ignore funky stuff growing in the dark. It feels like many people
>> developed mental illness during the Bush years. Or became comfortable
>> allowing it out in public. That is at least true of ignorance.
>

> Why are you even paying attention to this, never mind posting it
> hither and yon? The fringe left and fringe right have both been
> recycling this crap my entire life. Oh noes!!!
>
> People with such a loss of perspective that they waste any time
> considering it seriously are as out of touch with reality as the
> person that wrote it -- I am sure the nutter left is hyper-ventilating
> right on cue. The opinions of garden-variety nutters don't matter and
> are rarely even entertaining. A waste of bits.
I hesitated for exactly that reason.  Tim O'Reilly, etc. threw it just
over my threshold.

When you see and hear some of what is being said in widely consumed
media (usually Beck/Rush/et al via Stewart), you have to wonder how many
people are being repeatedly exposed to what and how much they are
persuaded.  If only 50 people in the US believe drivel, fine.  If it is
5 million, I want to know.  Some surveys have been shocking.

On the other hand, I'm not really alarmist about people believing crazy
things too much.  There are usually enough sane people around to keep
the rest in check.  Still, it would be good to do a reality check once
in a while so I can reassure others.

I recently traveled with someone close through Texas (N. CA to N. VA in
3 days of driving, plus a few stops).  While I was in a sleep cycle in
Texas, he was too apprehensive about the local culture to stop at a
convenience store at night in a small town to get a paper map.  This was
just after we lost digital cell service, and therefore, Google Maps.