[FoRK] kindle?

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 11:54:15 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM, damien morton <dmorton at bitfurnace.com> wrote:
> Yeah - a real audio book, read by a real human, is just so many infinities
> better than any voice synthesis software can achieve that it such a lawsuit
> really its petty beyond belief.
> Even if these guys win their case - the buyers of books arent going to buy
> audio books as well as text books. They are going to buy one or the other.

Of course there are projects like Librivox that show even ordinary
folks reading books makes for a better experience than SAM sounding
renderings, though in ThingFish it worked out well.

Since Librivox uses PD works you can actually opt to read the works,
listen to the works, or in the case of my current goign thru the
Voyage of the Beagle, do both.

Then there are authors like C Doctorow who often reads or allows his
works to be read aloud as well as making the text available both for
gratis and/or purchase.

Once again, lock in...why even allow that to be the only option? For a
pretty bauble? How cheap we sell ourselves.

-tom(I pity fool)higgins