[FoRK] kindle?

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:32:25 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
> Tom and I have been batting this around on fb via identica for a
> while, but... does the non-ownership of things one has paid for bother
> anyone else about Kindle? I badly want one, but refuse to pay for
> books that I don't meaningfully own. Am I just being crazy or what?

Well, you know my stance:)-

Something else that thread on FB has brought up, reuse.

I buy a book these days and odds are its used. Powell's books has the
amazing thought to shelf used books along side the new ones such that
I save a few bucks buy getting the used copy next tot he shinny new
one.

I also give books away and am often on the receiving end.

At the end of a books life cycle the paper can be reused or recycled..

First off , things you buy from Kindlezon are priced one way and one way only.

Second, is there a used Kindlezon book market? Is it even allowed?

Third, which leads to re-gifting/loaning.

Fourth, the life cycle of the device is what? Whats the impact of all
those kindles after a few years? V2 leads to the gota have v3 which
dovetails into the simply must do v4. Since the device is not open
enough to be upgraded or the like is each V a dead end? What about the
files you bought for that particular device? What about the files you
huffed over?

To be clear here, I am not antiEbook, heck I read more on the computer
than  I do on the dead tree tip.  I should be Jezz Bezozs poster boy
for his ebook effort but instead am sounding ill on it. My bad? I
think not sir, I think not.

Oh yeah, and I know its easy to use, can store all you must reads in
one simple slim device so you wont have to break an arm reading the
scads of economic books you need to keep up with Beberg or Bone
threads..
but could not this be accomplished WITHOUT stripping you of things
like reuse, repourpose, and recycling  not to mention some sort of
control about where you read what you pay for and what sort of things
you can read on the device you pay for?

-tom(no sd slot to get pdf/rtf/txt/cbr files on the
device..really???Really??)higgins