[FoRK] Freezing weather newbie

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Dec 17 01:22:57 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:38:59PM -0500, HK Pang wrote:
> I've been thinking if planet earth may like it better if more human
> lives in cities?

Redesigned suburbia could be net energy producer. In general there
are infrastructure scaling and social networking advantages (in absence
of telepresence) in maximizing primate concentration per volume. You
still need lots of extra footprint for harvesting energy, food, gadgets
and manage waste. How much you need extra is a function of available
technology. Right now we need more than the planet under our feet,
which is ridiculous.

Since we're mostly information, long-term (not necessarily in wall clock
terms) a realtime human equivalent shouldn't take more than ~10 W
in a ~100 ml volume.

Needless to say, we're rather far removed from that.