[FoRK] Multifornias Re: The story behind No-bama's Soviet-style iconography

Gordon Mohr gojomo at boxbe.com
Tue Jun 10 12:00:03 PDT 2008

Kevin Elliott wrote:
> My guess would be size.  California is to big and centralized.  It
> really needs to be 2 or possibly 3 states.  I think once you get above a
> certain size special interests become a lot more powerful, more money
> gets involved and things can get ugly fast.  It probably also hurts that
> CA is very split politically- so one group of people can scrape together
> 51% in a given election to beat their opponents over the head... and
> then the other side gets it's 51% together and fires back.  Rinse repeat
> and things get very schizophrenic fast.  Not a great source of good
> government.

Totally agreed. California should be 4 different states:

* Sacramento and parts north, AKA Jefferson, for environmentalists,
loggers, and marijuana cultivators

* Central California, AKA Californutopia, from just north of Santa
Barbara to Marin, for utopians and geeks and mystics and central-valley
farmers

* Southern California, AKA Californialand, for entertainers, beach bums,
desert retirees, and defense contractors

* Baja California, AKA Mexifornia, which the US would buy from Mexico

- Gordon