[FoRK] Chess and the Flynn effect

paul paul at remsset.com
Mon Jun 9 18:23:16 PDT 2008

Jeff Bone said the following on 6/9/2008 7:34 PM:

> The angle:  if people really are getting smarter, then why the fuck do
> we seem to be moving the opposite way in this country?

If "Average IQ score has been rising for several decades but researchers
dispute whether population intelligence really is increasing." I suspect
the testing has changed.

Bell Curve.  There's more stupid people now because there's a lot more
people.  Maybe because the schools suck.  Maybe we are turning into our
parents and of course to them all of our friends were stupid and no good
and whatever.

Being a good chess player doesn't make you smart.  Yeah, you play well
but can't carry a conversation involving world history or geography or
much of anything else?   Would you expect the same from your car's mechanic?

Yet, both are excellent at what they do.

paul