[FoRK] The story behind No-bama's Soviet-style iconography

Karl Anderson kra at monkey.org
Mon Jun 9 17:45:17 PDT 2008

On 6-Jun-08, at 5:48 PM, Tom Higgins wrote:

> Gota agree, having been in Oregon for 11 years now I have to say it is
> not , very much not, "an unquestionable disaster"
>
> People get a chance to send up their ideas for a vote given a set of
> some simple rules and requirements.

Not a disaster at all, but I don't know how I'd tally up the pros and
cons.  For several years, the gay-rights groups pretty much had to run
continuous defensive campaigns against the OCA or whatever shell
organization was running Lon Mabon's fundie ballot initiative
factory.  And more recent legislative tweaking (such as making it
illegal to pay signature gatherers by the signature) show that there
are some problems.

The more recent continuous theme seems to have moved from fundies to
Bill Sizemore's tax changes [1].  I never could tell who he was
working for.  He got taken down on racketeering charges, and his army
of signature gatherers was the reason for some of the weird laws, but
his bastard children still live on in Measure 37 [2] - are the
attempts to clean that up done yet?

In the end, it's democracy as usual (whoever can fund the most
effective media campaign wins), minus a key element of democracy IMHO
(political elites as the insulator between the people and the creation
of laws).

At least it gives us some good political theater [3].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Sizemore
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ballot_Measure_37_%282004%29
[3] http://www.sos.state.or.us/elections/nov22004/guide/meas/m36_fav.html