[FoRK] SOAP vs REST

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Thu Apr 10 17:04:54 PDT 2008

Sometimes I'm glad I stay clear of areas that make me queasy.  I only
saw enough CORBA action to know that it was broken.  I did a bit too
much DCE RPC programming in SunOS so that when Microsoft pulled it in
several years later, I completely ignored their derivative.  I did my
own port of Kerberos to HPUX 3 or 4 in about 1990 so I avoided Active
Directory later.  OK, bad example, I've just been setting up and
debugging Kerberized PKI SSH...

I feel vaguely guilty at not participating in this stuff because I would
have howled at many of the design decisions, especially the pre-doc RPC
style.  And concentrating on half-duplex, synchronous HTTP rather than
on something like BEEP.  (HTTP 1.1 could be used inefficiently to
implement something close to BEEP, and some use it that way, but it is
not the default SOAP mode which is a great loss.)  I was busy doing
other things, and I probably wouldn't have been able to route the
Microsoft / IBM juggernaut that seems to have done an Ada on the whole
thing.  (I.e. taken some good, but immature ideas and too-quickly
inflated them into products with unearned mass.)

Part of my focus now is a completely different direction with
RDF-derived data interchange.  XML is OK at low complexities, but a mess
further down the spectrum.  Clean XML object/document paired with
RDF/triples/n-tuples seems to make sense.  But first, I'm working on a
personal utility and building my way up.

More than a year ago we designed and built an XML RDF over BEEP over
XML-RPC between Java and C# which worked nicely, if slowly.

sdw

Paul Jimenez wrote:
> http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2006/11/15/the-s-stands-for-simple/
>
> Dug this up somewhere and found it still appropriate as I watch the
> dev team I joined recently deal with having to evolve and support the
> SOAP/XML-RPC API that they used in the intreest of expediency in the
> early days. I winced when I saw it first, but lately have grown somewhat
> tired of trying to convince philistines of the errors of their ways - it
> tires me out and annoys the philistines.
>
>   --pj

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 94043 AIM: sdw