[FoRK] Welcome to the American Totality. You've been warned.

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sat Feb 2 21:16:49 PST 2008

I *told* you people this shit was going to happen if we started
criminalizing unfashionable behavior like smoking.

--

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/124751.html

A Mississippi lawmaker and three co-sponsors have introduced a bill
that would....well, let's just quote straight from the bill:

Any food establishment to which this section applies shall not be
allowed to serve food to any person who is obese, based on criteria
prescribed by the State Department of Health after consultation with
the Mississippi Council on Obesity Prevention and Management
established under Section 41-101-1 or its successor. The State
Department of Health shall prepare written materials that describe
and explain the criteria for determining whether a person is obese,
and shall provide those materials to all food establishments to which
this section applies. A food establishment shall be entitled to rely
on the criteria for obesity in those written materials when
determining whether or not it is allowed to serve food to any person.

Sandy Szwarc called the bill's sponsor, who confirmed that he isn't
kidding. We've finally arrived. Now just wait until the first bill
like this actually passes.

--

jb