[FoRK] FoRK as recruiting tool

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Fri Feb 1 10:37:19 PST 2008

More likely I think, is that those that have various forms of
psychosocial disabilities choose engineering because it deals more with
things and less with problematic, messy people. Cause and effect are not
clear. This is likely to be a classic case of reverse implication.

You can develop hyperrationalism in some areas and be retrograde in
others, as is well known. Simplism applies to these people's model of
other people and the world first, then to the solutions that they think
will work and should be forced on others. It might even be that the
strain of the difference between a fundamentalist philosophy / influence
/ subculture vs. reality creates a need for reality grounding that
engineering provides in a way that is no longer controlled by the "church".

It's fine to point out the associations, but there are at least two
opposite theories that might explain them.

sdw

Zee Roe wrote:
> I'm not sure I grok how hyperrationalism leads to Islamic extremism,
> but...
>
> ----
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205920319
>
> [...]
>
> Whether American, Canadian or Islamic, they pointed out that a
> disproportionate share of engineers seem to have a mindset that makes
> them open to the quintessential right-wing features of "monism" (why
> argue where there is one best solution) and by "simplism" (if only
> people were rational, remedies would be simple).

Stephen D. Williams 703-371-9362C 703-995-0407Fax 94043 AIM: sdw