[FoRK] Right-wing propaganda equating fascism with the left

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Tue Jan 29 19:22:36 PST 2008

Speaking of asses and the Republic(ans) --- what, weren't we? --- has
anybody had a chance to read _Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of
the American Left, From Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning_ by
Jonah Goldberg?  This is becoming the right-wingnuts equivalent of
The God Delusion --- a book that becomes a rallying point.  Over the
last couple of weeks it's been talked up on every right-wing media
outlet I sample.

And *I think* it's entirely without irony that they're trying this
revisionism --- I think that Mr. Goldberg (Emmanuel Goldstein?)
actually believes his own line of BS, rather than merely and
cynically making yet another attempt to make every day "Opposite Day."

But it's interesting (or rather, infuriating) how hypocritical these
right-wing assholes are.  While ordinarily denouncing anything that
smacks of academia or intellectualism, in this case it's *their* pet
(psuedo-) intellectual producing agit-prop that conforms the The
Party Line.  So that's okay.

Goldberg gets some things right:  indeed, there is a kind of tyranny
inherent in political correctness.  But to try to identify "fascism"
with liberalism historically --- to try, in whatever tortured way, to
stitch together a history that pushes the evil of oligarchic public-
corporate fascism (the Mussolini kind) left of center --- is an act
so outrageous that it should incite riots among historians.

Of course, it won't.  We've become numb to even the most audacious of
untruths.  That, more than anything else, will be the legacy of this
President and his party.

jb