[FoRK] Appeals Court Says Feds Need Warrants to Search E-Mail

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Fri Jun 22 11:39:09 PDT 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 11:03:04AM -0700, Tom Higgins wrote:

> By fight do you mean getting as big a lobby forces as the Guardians of
> Security and take them on point for point or do you mean by subverting
> the existing system until such time as one can be made that will not
> be beholden to those forces..if such a thing could ever happen.

It is the plan of powers that be to press anonymity into an illegal
niche, where it then can languish in obscurity, and not even be ignored.

Göring: Why, of course, the people don’t want war. Why would some poor
slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can
get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the
common people don’t want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in
America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all,
it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always
a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a
fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.”

Gilbert: “There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some
say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the
United States only Congress can declare wars.”

Göring “Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people
can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you
have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists
for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same
way in any country.

My personal view is that professional power mongers have collectively
realized that an Internet that can be used as a grassroot communication
and organisation medium, untraceable and uncensorable is the largest
threat to their control and progressive consolidation of power they ever faced,
and do everything in their power to destroy that threat.

> After all these decades of legal motion into the realm of what the net
> has to offer I am thinking the DIY option might just be the one that
> will bear the most fruit. Sure those who are squemish about being all

A rather disruptive idea would be to fill the skies with tiny LEO
platforms, which form a communication cloud which is compatible with
consumer devices. I don't see why a phased-array (MIMO is a precursor to it)
device can't track a few W-node passing some 300 km above me.
The platform needs not to be more than a kg in weight, albeit not be
long-lived.

> persnickitish legal will balk at it and spend good chucks of their
> lives trying hard to stem the tide...sadly I think the tide is a tidal
> wave and being swept under after spending a life time of effort to go
> "legit" is not something I am down for.

Most people are extremely law-abiding. This makes the job of manipulating
them so much easier.

> I reckon it may not be the "lawful" thing to ponder on but damn if it
> dont feel like the "right" thing.

At this point in life I think about the best idea would be to package
Tor as a self-propagating zombie vector, prime the pump, and let the
mayhem run its course. Preferrably, the damn thing should also install
privoxy, and force local browser to use it. Most people won't ever
notice.