[FoRK] Poll: I would rather my daughter married a Muslim than an Atheist

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Wed Jun 20 22:50:19 PDT 2007

Wow.  You know, my daughter, who's 15, was just telling me that she and
her friend are planning to leave the US and live in Europe because "the
rules here are terrible and everyone in the world hates us (US
citizens)".  (There's a lot more to her current mood of course, but I
won't go into that.)  Maybe my version of that sentiment could be
derived from the following (Yikes!).  Galt's Gulch indeed.

http://pressesc.com/01182272332_no_daughters_athiests
I would rather my daughter married a Muslim than an Atheist
Submitted by Rathnavibushana on Tue, 2007-06-19 17:04.

This Group Does Not At All Agree with My Vision of American Society

Atheists     39.6
Muslims     26.3
Homosexuals     22.6
Conservative Christians     13.5
Recent Immigrants     12.5
Hispanics     7.6
Jews     7.4
Asian Americans     7
African Americans     4.6
White Americans     2.2

I Would Disapprove if My Child Wanted to Marry a Member of This Group

Atheist     47.6
Muslim     33.5
African American     27.2
Asian American     18.5
Hispanic     18.5
Jew     11.8
Conservative Christian     6.9
White     2.3

Source: American Mosaic Project
Survey, 2003.

Method: Nationally representative random-digit dial (RDD) telephone
survey (N = 2081) conducted during the summer of 2003.

What do you have against
Submitted by Concerned Athiest (not verified) on Tue, 2007-06-19 18:36.

What do you have against athiests? Just because we think that there is
substantial proof that god doesnt exist and all religions are full of
holes, shouldn't make you hate us.

Interesting survey. Once
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 2007-06-19 21:28.

Interesting survey.
Once people get to know people they tend not to hate them.
I think one problem Atheists, Muslims and Asians have is that they have
not been in USA long enough for the 'average' American to get to 'know
them'.
Regardless of what group one is in you have to get out into your
community and let people know you exist and are friendly.
Then after a few years those neighbors of your will be totally neutral
to your group (Asian, Muslim, Atheist, etc).
People have lots of barriers about those who are differnet and the best
way I have found to break those barriers down is to "one on one"
interact with the community at large.

WTF?
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 2007-06-20 02:36.

Excuse me? You say "Atheists, Muslims and Asians have is that they have
not been in USA long enough for the 'average' American to get to 'know
them'." How the fuck do you figure THAT?

The founding fathers were atheists for goodness sake! Prior to the
middle of last century it was actually fine to stand outside and shout
that you are an atheist - because religion had not shrouded itself in
some ridiculous "how dare you!" attitude which means today you can't.

Jebus H Chribt - no wonder America is in deep shit.

THAT? AMAZING.. YOU SHOULD
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 2007-06-21 01:55.

THAT? AMAZING.. YOU SHOULD TEST IT AGAIN, AND SEE THE DIFFERENCES MADE
BY GUILT AND FORGIVENESS