[FoRK] FoRK in London?

Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> on Thu Apr 26 09:03:23 PDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 04:32:18PM -0500, Jeff Bone said:
> At present my Friday plans seem to involve hitting the Royal
> Observatory and Tower of London in the afternoon, followed by X
> (ranging over values of drinking) followed by a trip to some place in
> Soho billed, I kid you not, as "Probably the best gentlemen's club in
> London." ;-)  ("Probably.")  (Another sign for the same
> establishment, just around the corner, was less equivocal but more
> confused about the format:  "the best nightclub in London.")

Well, if you're looking for culture then the cluster of The Science
Museum, The Natural history Museum and The Victoria and Albert museum
down by South Kensington are all very good. And free (as are all museums
in London). On a similar vein then there's the rather stunning British
Museum with its new(ish) atrium and varied antiquities.

Drinking and Soho wise. I need to be around that area that evening
anyway so if you want a taste of proper English pubs then the Ship on
Wardour street is probably my favourite pub in London (although calling
it quiet might be a stretch). They even serve fish finger sandwiches for
lunch.

As another twofer offer of culture and alcohol there's the Tate Modern
(right by the wibbly-wobbly Millenium bridge) and right next to it is
The Founders Arms which looks like a 60s monstrosity but serves
excellent beer and given what the weather's supposed to be like tomorrow
sititng out by the river with a pint sounds eminently civilised.

If you're looking for restaurant reservations then just shout.

Either way I'm easy - alternatively I'm free on Saturday as well.

Simon